Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Endless Amounts of Paperwork

I have to say that it feels like an endless amount of paperwork to go to Japan. Really, the worst of it has been over for months, but I went to fax something to Japan today from Kinko’s and it didn’t work. This pissed me off. There’s also that whole visa deal. Thank gawd that the placement agency did most of that.

As it stands now anyways, I push paper all day, or at least electronic paper. Teaching English will be quite different. Ironically, this job is a lot like management—in other words, babysitting.

I am really happy that I located my Japanese friends in Osaka. I visited them for my first trip to Japan almost 3 years ago. My friend Momo is from Osaka and she knows where a lot of excellent shopping and cuisine exists. She also gave me an abbreviated tour of three temples in Kyoto. Her husband is from Nagasaki where I spent an amazing few days. (I love that Nagasaki has “China Town,” it just seems weird.)

It’s such a relief to have a few people that I already know living there. Admittedly, I am not sure how far apart we’ll be from one another, but the trains are really easy to use and very convenient.

I’m also negotiating with my incumbent about what possessions I will be purchasing from her. She’s been there for three years and apparently bought all of her furniture new. So, I’m glad to know that of these possessions I will certainly buy her bed. Maybe this sounds strange, but I’m glad not to have a futon. In case you didn’t know, in Japan, a futon is really just a mattress (what we would consider a futon mattress) rolled out on the floor. It is necessary to roll it up everyday, otherwise the tatami mats (straw mats that are more or less permanently attached to the ground) will get moldy or rot. Also, because people sweat, you have to air out the futon. What a pain in the ass.

Ugg. Now, to get back to that paperwork I mentioned….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home