Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Summer Solstice

It hardly seems like the longest day of the year. Growing up in western Montana, it would stay light out until 10 and 11 was about when the sun finally cascaded behind the mountains for the night.

I’m glad that it hasn’t gotten too hot and too sticky, yet. I know that it’ll be much worse in Osaka, but what can I do? At least I have ac in my apartment. It’s used differently over there though. In the U.S., we keep it running day and night regardless if we are home or not. In Japan, they conserve energy. So, if you’re not at home, the ac is off.

In fact, I need to buy more handkerchiefs for my journey. They are mostly used to wipe the sweat off of your forehead. In some cases, in a public restroom, there aren’t any paper towels or hand drier, so you need a hanky. One of my favorite things about learning Japanese culture in class was the topic of “furoshiki.” A furoshiki is essentially a square scarf that can be used to bundle things together such as a stack of books. Apparently, furoshiki are preferred over bags because when not in use they are easily tucked away. I always imagine them being used like in those old Bugs Bunny cartoons from WWII—a “hobo” using one to keep his/her precious belongings dangling from the end of stick over his/her shoulder.

My incumbent has told me that I should bring all cotton or linen clothes due to the extreme heat and humidity. When I was in Osaka in September, it was like the height of summer in Minnesota. Tokyo was a nice change; it was much breezier than Osaka at that point in time.

I worry more about the humidity of the summer than the cold winters. I still need to do more research, but it does get to freezing temperatures in the winter. It doesn’t seem too bad to me, I’m used to the cold. On the other hand, the heating systems are different in Japan. I’ll wait and see how that works out.

Now to enjoy this nice cup of tea…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home