Sunday, July 31, 2005

Hirakata-shi

Just to explain a bit about the geography of my new home, I live in Hirakata-shi (Hirakata city). I was told that it`s kind of rurual, well, there are rice fields near by. I asked about the population, oh, only 1 million people. Hirakata-shi is in Osaka-fu (prefecture), Osaka being the second largest city next to Tokyo. Osaka-fu is apparently the smallest prefecture in area, but the most (?) or second most populated in Japan.

I didn`t know what to do here on a Saturday night. I remember my predecessor telling me that the English house next door might be helpful. Originally, I thought she meant that I had an English speaking neighbor in my building, but really the building next door is called "Osaka English House." Anyway, the door was locked. Figures. Then, I kept walking and saw another gaijin (foreigner) and asked if she lives in the English house and what do around here. She said that there aren`t a lot of bars or coffee houses in Hirakata. Most people go to Osaka-shi (city) on the weekends, but this weekend many of the residents are out of town on holiday. Crap. Well, at least I remembered this internet cafe. Here I am. Sipping on gin and juice, laid back. Actually, when you pay for the internet, you get free beverages (non-alcoholic).

I went to Kyoto today with Midori-sensei. I think that she felt bad for me because I have so much time off and no phone or internet. So, yesterday when she was helping me shop, she invited me to Kyoto. It was a lot of fun. I walked a lot--more than I did in Paris even. It was beautiful. She explained a lot of the meaning and history in each temple we went to. I didn`t understand all of it, but mostly she explained very well.

Anyway, I only paid for a little while. Until next time! If you know my e-mail, write to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home