Sunday, July 17, 2005

Blur

This past week has been a blur of “working” and saying my goodbyes to everyone. I was convinced that at my going away happy hour last night that I would completely lose it and start crying, telling everyone that I love them, and get super mushy. I’m also surprised that I’m not super hung over at this point in time. Just dehydrated. It’s been 90+ degrees with humidity anyway, combined with drinking, it’s a little much.

I went to the Japanese-exchange picnic this week and met both alumni and new people departing for Japan with me. It’s great to know that there is a network out there, a support group that understands what it’s like to be an American in Japan.

One of my favorite pieces of advice from one of the alumni was to make friends where ever you can. Make friends with an old lady, kids, anyone that’s willing to be a friend to you. In other words, keep an open mind as to what friendship is. I never really thought about it before. Like most people, most of my “friends” are my age.

I realize that some great advice for anyone is to get involved with the community. I know that I always complain that I really don’t have any hobbies, but the real problem is that I don’t have hobbies that I can do with other people. Example, writing in my blog. This isn’t exactly a group activity. If I had more recreational activities that I picked up while living in MN, then maybe I would have more friends or at least more social currency as a bare minimum. In Japan, I don’t know what opportunities that I will have for becoming more active, but the alum were helpful in suggestions on how to find out what’s up.

In one week, I’ll be on a plane bound for Tokyo….

2 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Blogger Lone Ranger said...

I lived in Japan for six years. The only thing you have to keep in the back of your mind is that the Japanese are the most xenophobic, racist people in the world. You will never fit in. If you grow close to a Japanese family, it will only be because they regard you as a family pet. But other than that, enjoy.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Bex said...

Yeah, that’s a good point. Obviously, I will never be Japanese, but I don’t think that I would want to be. It must not have been so bad if you lived there for six years. Where did you live?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home