Monday, September 26, 2005

No Pants!

You know that it’s starting to get cold when you have to start wearing pants again. In fact, when I slept on the hammock today, I even needed a ‘lil blanket and I was even wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt. Damn! It was about 26 degrees Celsius today—what’s that in Fahrenheit? According to the all-mighty net, that’s 78.8 degrees. Yeah, and I was chilly. That’s Osaka for ya.


******************************************************************************************************************************

So, I finally bought another electronic dictionary. My last one’s screen was fizzled out a bit and not as cool as I would have liked. It’s pretty cool. You can do English-Japanese, vice-versa, it can tell you how to say kanji (either via hiragana or it will speak to you), and you can write the kanji on the screen if you’re trying to find it. I know, I’m probably geeking out on you, but it’s really nice. It’s hard to communicate without one often times.


******************************************************************************************************************************

I’m so exhausted. Two days of my three day weekend have been spent sleeping or lying around. Saturday was kindof a marathon. The Osaka JET’s were invited to go to Nara to see some temples and we had to be in Nara around 10:30 am. In other words, no sleeping in.

Nara is really pretty. There are about 1200 deer that live in the city. They’re a bunch of beggars and aren’t afraid to go and nudge you for some food. You can buy them cookies and then they’ll follow you around until you don’t have any more cookies for them. At lunch, we saw a woman with her baby and husband trying to feed one. She freaked out. She was saying in Japanese “Scary! Scary!” The deer was barely coming near her and the woman started to run away on this steep slope. The woman totally ate it. I felt bad for her, but she was really unnecessarily scared of the deer.

The deer are really small too. A couple of guys wanted to ride them, but they’re way too small for that. I think the deer are maybe a little bit bigger than a golden retriever, maybe. Photos coming hopefully soon. Another snafu on that, but it should soon be rectified. Did I mention I hate computers?

After a long day of sight-seeing, I went to Namba as I thought a few of us would be going to dinner. Well, I guess I was wrong. I spent the next 4 or 5 hours shopping alone, hence the electronic dictionary. I bought a couple of other small items, but nothing much to mention here.

I had dinner, alone, around 9 pm at a Mexican restaurant! Oddly enough, it was only a couple of doors down from where I spent the first night here in Osaka at the Dontomburi Hotel. Hmm. I must still been jet-lagged. In fact, I know that I was still was. I had enchiladas. Yummy!

Met everyone by the river around 10 or 11. Danced until 4ish am, and passed out around 6:30 am. I’m surprised my legs aren’t bitching at me for what was probably about 15 hours or so of walking yesterday.

That was my weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home