Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Ramen, Ramen, Ramen!!!!!

There is a lot more to Ramen than what I ever imagined before coming to Japan. Oh, yeah, am I ever learning more about it. At first, I was a bit pretentious about eating the Cup-o-Noodles. Yeah, I know, I’ve been eating American Ramen for years, way before I even started college (the first time). So, why did I start again? Same usual reason, lack of money. But, I started eating the regular ol’ Cup-o-Noodles because when you close the bar down at 5 am, it puts things into perspective.

Just to mention that if you go out to eat for Ramen, there are some basic choices: the broth is made from 1. pork broth (kind of creamy, but really super tasty)—my favorite 2. soy sauce based 3. miso based or 4. salt based. Add to this that you can choose either straight or curly noodles. You can also choose to have extra things added on top of your Ramen too such as kimchi (my favorite) or extra pork. Can’t complain about (what should be) everyone’s favorite meat.

What can you buy to eat at home? Well, that’s a great question. I’m glad that you asked. There is Ramen that looks like the stuff you can get in the states, but it doesn’t seem to be as common. Every type is different. That is to say that not only is the “flavor packet” different (chicken, beef, pork, etc.), but the stuff in the packets isn’t always powered msg/meat stuff. You might get soy sauce and mayo or a flavor packet with another packet of hot chili stuff or with dried veggies like onions (or in curry potatoes). Frankly, it’s a surprise every time to me. I love the spicy ones, but I can’t argue with the packets of mayo either (yummy! mayo is an excellent condiment). Also, not only are the noodles dry, you can buy them fresh (then there might be actual fresh veggies and meat also), but you can buy them refrigerated or in the freezer section.

Yes, this is just a little taste of the wonderfully varied Ramen world that I live in. Also, there is a difference between Chinese Ramen and Japanese, but I haven’t experienced this enough to get into it now. So, happy winter to me! Good thing Ramen is so abundant, cheap, and delicious. I guess I won’t go too hungry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home