Monday, August 07, 2006

Whew!

We weren't able to bungy jump...there were political protests going on Day 2. And, it's not working out for another day unless we want to pay even more money. More than we've already forked over to all the tour guides and such. Believe me, it adds up quickly.

Day 1:
We took some mountain bikes to a village called Sankur which ended up being about 40 km. Biking in Kathmandu is bloody nuts. Remember this: there are no rules. Once you understand that basic concept, you'll start jumping out in front of buses, trucks, motorbikes, pedestrians...well, anything that you think you can be faster than. Basically, you bike freaks would have a good time here. I was on a shitty mountain bike kicking a lot of buses' asses. I did almost get hit by a small truck except I screamed right at the driver's face and he slammed on the brakes. HAHAHA. Take that, sucka!

Day 2: River rafting. The good news is that I only got knocked INTO the boat and not out of it. It was fun. The Chinese people were interesting. Don't mention that you see Tibet as it's own country and you might be able to get along....

Day 3: Day 1 of trekking in the Himalayas. We hiked about 6 hours. A lot of ups. It was good.

Day 4: Trekking continued. I got the first set of leech bites. Hmm. Not too big of a deal. A lot more up. We slept at the highest point that night at 1900 meters.

Day 5: More up. The actual highest point we went to was about 3200 meters. A lot of bloody leeches. My friend's ankle was bleeding quite badly and later his back was covered in blood too.

Day 6: Crazy bastard friends decided that they wanted to get back to Kathmandu a day early. Got up at 4:30 am. 6 hours of downhill....I got a blister on my toe and a lot of leeches. I bashed my arm when I fell down slippery wet rocks and it now has a big lump. The same friend that was attacked before got a bleeding leech bite on his chin and also had one on his neck.

We managed to get to the bus stop, but because I couldn't keep up, we missed the bus. Luckily for us, there was another bus back to Kathmandu. 7 hours in a bus after 6 hours of hiking was a little rough.

Got back to the hotel around 8 pm where both of the friends we were supposed to meet up with today (because our trek was supposed to be 5 days long) had just checked in. Perfect timing!!!!

Day 7: Getting ready for Tibet today as we leave tomorrow. And I'm off again to meet up with my friends.

Bye for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home