Monday, March 13, 2006

Japanese Proficiency Test

Okay, there were some questions about the test. I'll answer them in case you give a crap.

4-kyuu is the lowest of the tests. You need to know about 100 kanji and about 800 words. Supposed to be super easy. I don't really know though.

3-kyuu is the next highest test. You need to know about 300 kanji and about 1500 words. I'm currently studying all of this grammar because I don't have it mastered yet. I can easily do the kanji that they test on, but that only helps somewhat.

2-kyuu second hightest level. You need to know 1000 kanji (notice the huge jump from 3-kyuu) and 6000 words. I'm hoping to take this test this year.

1-kyuu is the highest level. You need to know all of the "basic" kanji which is about 2000 (that's how many you need to know to be able to read the newspaper) and 10,000 words. I've heard some native speakers have trouble with this test, but that could just be a rumor.

The test is only given once a year in December. So, I'm trying really hard to be able to easily do 2-kyuu. If not, I'll definately do 3-kyuu. Also, of course there are time limits, so it can be pretty difficult. There are 3 parts: kanji, listening comprehension, and reading comprehension/grammar. My weakness is the grammar. It used to listening comprehension. So, the good news is that listening and understanding what the hell people are saying to me is getting much easier.

1 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Pam said...

I took those tests way back in the day (passed 2-kyuu in 1989 and 1-kyuu in 1991) so they most likely have changed since then, but it was not something a native would have had trouble passing.
I just surfed in from a link off Peruby's blog. I lived in your neck of the woods for a while (Nishinomiya and Ibaraki-shi). It was... an experience. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home