Friday, August 11, 2006

It's the little things....

Like showering. When a package deal includes accomodations, really to me that would include a shower (even if it has to be shared). In Tibet, often you have to pay in the hotel to shower. WTF?!

Also, I'm not sure whose toilets are worse--Tibet's or India's. It could be a toss up. But, I try to hold it in, even though I could end up with a bladder infection. Well, it's better that than the evil, stinky hole in the ground sometimes. And BTW, don't forget the toilet paper either. You'll need it as there never is any.

Food. Maybe it's not such a little thing. But, the food in Tibet is not so great. It's okay. I was certainly spoiled in Kathmandu and will be happy to have a nice dinner there when I return for a couple more days.

Tibetan food leaves something to be desired. I did have two yak burgers today which were okay. The funny thing is that we ordered "chilli chips" which we all thought would be French fries with a proper Texas type chilli on top. WRONG! It was fries that had been stir fried (not joking!) with veggies and some sort of chilli oil or sprinkles. Hmmm. Anyone for a cuppa? Cup of butter tea that is. Imagine drinking watery butter. I didn't think it was so bad and my friend drank 4 cups; however, most Westerns don't really like it. Something about tasting like a pair of old socks....

It's like being stuck in a different time here. China has some sort of thing going on trying to make Tibet more modern as it's "one hundred years behind." Frankly, it does feel that way. You're lucky to get a flushing toilet (even if it is a squater). (Apparently, these are the worst toilets in China according to one of my travel friends.) I saw a kid that was probably about 9 years old doing road construction with a fag hanging out of his mouth. One of my friends saw a kid that looked like he was 5 and smoking....Terrible.

The Tibetans looked so wind battered and weathered. I think they lead really difficult lives. I'm guessing that the education is absolute shit here too, especially when you see children working. I feel for them too because the Chinese are moving in on their land. According to our guide, the Chinese gov't wants to send 200 million people to live in Tibet!!!!! That's incredible to me. I wonder if the land could even support that many people. The Tibetans are all dirty and look like they never bathe. I heard their word for foreigner directly translates as "washables" because we like to bathe.

Oh yes. I forgot to mention the altitude sickness. I was feeling it when we were at Everest Base Camp. I had a bit of a headache, but no big deal. It's really hard to move quickly because the air is so thin. I think our highest point was about 6000 meters and Everest Base Camp at about 5200 meters.

Got to go. Mates are leaving now.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home