Monday, November 07, 2005

Yeah, Yeah

I know, I haven't kept my drive to post every other day or so. Gomen, nee! I caught a cold last week and I've been floating in and out of reality. Usually this doesn't bother me too much, but I'm trying to cram a bunch of Japanese into my head, so it's not exactly effective.

And today's lesson, children:

Let me tell you about the izakaiya. Until last week, I just thought this was the Japanese word for "bar," and well, I was wrong. An izakaiya isn't someplace that you stop after work for a beer...you stay usually for 2 hours or so and get completely pissed. The goal is to drink as much as possible in that short amount of time. Often, you sing songs (I'm learning them) to get people to chug their tiny glasses of beer. You take it like a shot, well, a lot of times. You order bottles of beer and then serve them in small glasses to all of your buddies. It's sick and wrong because you can't really count how many tiny glasses you've had.

It's not uncommon to stumble outta of an izakaiya and wonder "What the fuck just happened?" It's dangerous. I really didn't understand the difference until last week or so. And now you know. Did you learn anything? I know I did--the hard way as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home