Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Attack of the Killer Cold

Well, okay, still not 100% yet. That`s okay. I woke up freezing my ass off under the electric blankey and thought I was gonna hack up both lungs. What can you do? I am very fortunate this week, however, and only have 1 class today, none tomorrow, and 1 on Thursday. I think I can probably handle most of it. Mostly because I have my lessons mostly done for once. Procrastinating per usual.

On the fun side, I`m gonna teach the kids about rhyme--Beastie Boys anyone? A lot of them love rap. In fact, most of them know more lyrics than I do to many, many English songs. It`s rather embarrassing. But, that`s what happens when you spend your allowance at karaoke. I`m starting to know a couple of J songs--especially the English parts--so, I guess it makes sense. It`s a lot easier with the words flashing up on screen (although the J songs use kanji which I often can`t read unless it has the furigana).

One of my favorite students always asks me if I know some band or another. "Beckie, do you know Metallica?" Funny. They`re quite talented, those J kids.

On the other hand, I guess that they`re not really taught to think critically. I did a class on Martin Luther King, Jr. and I told them how important it is to be tolerant of other people. It`s important to treat everyone the same--something that they don`t think about because it`s so homogenous here. My principal just watched the last class I did on that topic and he thought it was really interesting. They`re not taught to think like that at all.

I was speaking to my vice-principal the other day and he explained to me how J people remember numbers so well. It`s one helluva crazy mnemonic system that`s for damned sure. He asked how we remember numbers and I said that I just simply memorize them. (I used to be the human phone phonebook.) But, that in the U.S. we don`t emphasize the memorization of numbers (the square root of 2 for example which he did in fact remember) or dates (he remembered when Shakespeare was born and died, well that`s assuming that we really know who Shakespeare is, but that`s another issue).

This really explains my Japanese classes back at the U of MN and how they tried to force us to memeorize things that we really thought was better to understand the concept. No, J people don`t think conceptually generally speaking, they memorize. Very different. Explains why they`re better at math and science though. J people also always use the same expression for explict things. Very much imbedded into them. For example, they can`t not yell "irryashaimase" at you when you enter into a store that they`re working at. Don`t mess with them or they get confused. (Some of my friends like to be sacrastic or fuck with the staff, but it ends in confusion which can be very funny.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home