Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Illiterate

I really hate being illiterate. It`s a terrible thing. What is even more perplexing to me is that some people can`t read or write in their native language. (How can people mix up such simple things as to and too even? That`s 2nd grade grammar for gawd`s sakes.) How is that even possible? Hmm. Well, I haven`t seen too much of that here fortunately and there are 3 syllabaries that are used. I only struggle with one in particular, but that`s only because in order to read a newspaper (4th grade level in the U.S.), you need to know 1945 characters (and the other two systems of course). This makes me really wonder about the U.S. educational system, or if people in the states are just simply retarded (for lack of a more p.c. term).

Well, it`s a good challenge. I take comfort in knowing that Japanese people sometimes struggle with it too, but certainly not in the same way. It`s all because of the keitai and the preemptive text. I struggle with the on and the kun readings more than anything, if I do know the character.

Back to code cracking....or match the characters depending on the situation.

1 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Felipe said...

I think that to a certain extent being unable to process ones spoken language into the written form isn't the strange at all. If you think about it, the written and spoken aspect of language really do occupy different sectors of the brain, when I write it is by far a more cognative function than that of just simplt conversing. I think that to a certain extent being unable to process ones spoken language into the written form isn't the strange at all. If you think about it, the written and spoken aspect of language really do occupy different sectors of the brain, when I write it is by far a more cognitive function than that of just simply conversing. As for the "retardation" of the average American, I would argue that it is more of a result of lack of necessity to learn those 1945 kanji of which you speak. Children have the ability to learn practically anything you throw in front of them, there just isn't a need to know another language when living in America today, especially Japanese. I don't think that this makes the entire educational system in the states as you call it "retarded".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home