Thursday, December 15, 2005

Potato Party!

So, I was invited by one of the Home Ec. teachers to come eat something at 6th period today, outside. I really didn't know what they were making, I didn't understand what she told me. I was late getting outside, but when I finally made it, I realized that the 2 nen-sei were eating potatoes.

All I originally saw was them standing around a bunch of mini-fires. I just thought that they were burning leaves. Nope. They were cooking the potatoes in tin foil in the fire. Can you imagine being able to play with fire at school? It seems bizarre to me, mostly because most people I knew were starting the fires.

As I found out, they were eating potatoes and I think sweet potatoes. The word in Japanese includes yam, sweet potato, and just plain potato. Same word. I ate a regular potato and a sweet potato. Yummy! The kids were trying some English on me. One of the class clowns said to me, in English, "I am from Japan." And I replied in Japanese "Is that so?" Everyone died laughing. It was pretty funny. Those kids crack me up. They're so ridiculous. I told one of them to be careful, in Japanese, next thing you know, he's breaking something. We all laugh. And he says in English "Laugh away!" I was impressed.

Two potatoes and you'd think I'd be full, but I'm not. Why!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home